Monday 9 June 2014

Inscriptions in books

I know not every one will agree with me, but I LOVE inscriptions in books. I love opening up a book and being reminded of when, why, where and from whom the book came. It is something I continue with my son, indeed whoever I gift a book to.  It's a beautiful reminder of our own good stories, our life, every time I see one.
I love opening books up in second hand stores to see if they have another story inside them, "To my wife I love you", "Congrats on your new job", "Happy cooking". It makes these books even more special. 
I have a copy of Jackie French's "Diary of a Wombat" which was given to my son by a friend of ours, which she left a message in.  She passed away a few years ago and apart from still just enjoying that book I always enjoy seeing her message.  It reminds me of happy times with her.
I am also a sucker for having an author signing their books.  In grade 5 (1990!) we had Ian Edwards come to our school to promote is book "The Money Eaters".  It was one of the few times I was given money to buy something of my choice, and I loved that he signed it for me.  I still look at that and smile (and still love reading that book!).  As an aside I was lucky enough to have Ian as my year 8 English teacher, a teacher whose efforts have remained with me all these years later.
I am going to be such a dag, but I won't be scared to ask authors to sign my books at the Bendigo Writers Festival, because in the years to come I am going to look back in those books and remember, and smile.

4 comments:

  1. Me too, and it makes me sad sometimes to see beautifully inscribed books in second-hand bookshops - sad for the gift giver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, my first comment! Makes me sad too- but then you hear the story of the lady that lost her book as a child and she gets that very same book back in her eighties- that's the special power of inscription right there!

      Delete
  2. haha this is me to a T! I have to have an inscription, always! and a date is the most necessary of all! I always leave an inscription and my boyfriend has finally learnt to leave me one as well :) Cannot wait to meet many wonderful authors and wordsmiths at the festival as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yes the boys may take some persuading, but it's great when they do "play" along!

      Delete