Sunday 3 August 2014

What an experience!

I have been lucky enough to be asked to write an article to create buzz for a Write on the Fringe event, which is coincinding with the BWF.  This opportunity developed organically through WiA, but it came as a surprise that I would get my first crack at writing an article for a newspaper.  Real life print!  That real life people read!

Monday I sat in on a meeting with the 6 women participating in the Five x 5 x Five event, all about five writers chatting about their careers in writing.  What an amazing bunch of women, and I came out feeling encouraged, motivated and raring to get into more writing - just from the meeting.  I can then only imagine how great their event is going to be.  A bunch of successful women talking about how they got their jobs, varied roles that all involve writing and what makes them tick.  And all of this locally.  Bendigo really does have a lot to offer!

Writing an article on the event and the women is a little daunting, not least due to there being two journalists on the panel, and I really want to do all these women justice.  And get a whole bunch of people there to take all their advice and ideas in, to walk away just as motivated as I have.

I have learnt a great deal from this experience, in interviewing/observing, and in writing articles for print.  I wish I could say that I wrote a perfect article but I did not. That's okay though, as I have been recieving some great targeted advice.  I have had the privilege of gaining experience. I am after all still playing a learning role here, and I am grateful  that my lack of experience is not closing doors. If anything I feel incredibly lucky that I am meeting people who are willing to take me under their wing, to "show me the ropes" in this writing gig.

The mark of every great career beginning, as far as I can glean, is the mentors you find along the way.  Those people who give a chance to the unproven, the learner.  The people who generously share their experience and advice.  These people mould you, and without them a career may not develop at all.

In a couple of days time I get to say- I am published! With a byline! And as so often is the case, the story goes far deeper, and cannot be told on its own. Credit where credit is due to those who help us along our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment