Sunday 14 September 2014

As Stars Fall, by Chrisite Nieman- a review

As Stars Fall centres around three teenagers, perhaps typically angst-y, but from untypical circumstances.  Robin, a bird nerd who moves to the city from the Victorian country after a devastating bush fire and the separation of her parents.  Delia, a book nerd, unpopular, intrigued by new girl Robin with her fascination with birds, and who is reeling from the death of her mother. Seth, Delia's brother who is hurting after the loss of his mother.

Nieman writes of the collision of humans against humans, humans against nature, and nature against nature. She weaves into the narrative the voices of the characters with the voices of the birds and the nature that they all occupy.  Using a distinctly Australian voice Nieman discusses the fragility of life and nature, of young adulthood, of parenthood and adulthood.  She switches between the narrative of each character with apparent ease, giving just enough story from each perspective to feed into the next, making you want to keep on reading to find out more.

"Feeling safe enough to feel vulnerable is a really good combination of feelings."

The storyline is at times unexpected, from a perspective that may even shock some readers, but I for one enjoyed reading the story from this perspective.  It glued the story together rather neatly.

   "There were no more falling embers, the fire in our paddock was out, and the big fire in the hills turned back on itself and died right down.  The smoke cleared and the moon came out."

The story manages to capture the depths of despair one can experience just by being a teenager, entwining it with the effects of the tradgedies that bring these characters together, and yet still manages to keep a sense of light throughout, finishing in a satisfying way.  A lovely read.

     ---------------------------------------------//-------------------------------------------------------

Until I went to do this exercise I hadn't realised what reviewing really entailed.  I was excited that I recieved a book to read, and I knew that I had to write some words about it.  But what words?  I did some research on how to write a review...crap.  This could be a bit harder than I thought. Certainly more difficult than just read-then-write.  There is an amount of responsibility - to the author, to the readers of the review and then the potential readers of the book.

It is important to not give the plot away, but discuss the book in an honest manner that perhaps will get someone to read it.  Even if you don't particularly like the book it doesn't mean that it should be trashed.  If you love the book you shouldn't be too complimentary, that's not really fair to potential readers either.  Golly.  Talk about the book without talking of the book.  Sheesh.  It's more than regurgitating the blurb.

I read the book, and as I opened to the first pages there was some trepidation of the task, and still not really knowing what I would write about.  I really enjoyed the book, I couldn't put it down, it was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon and evening.  

Overwhelmingly I thought to discussions on ABC Radio National at the Writers Festival with Kirsten Krauth and Jenny Valentish.  Both marketed as Young Adult writers, both saying "Why does it need to be only YA?".  Reading 'As stars fall' I get that now.  I would have loved this book as a young adult, but I think it would have been on a different level to my enjoyment as a 30-something.  And as a 30-something I feel quite qualified to say that this is book that would hold an attraction for a greater age range than only YA.

I have to admit that I have been reticent to pick up YA books as I got older - because they are not meant for me are they?  I have decided that's rubbish though.  Just because it may have characters that are younger, facing situations that I may or may not have already faced - does that mean I shouldn't enjoy reading about it? Of course not.  A well written book is a well written book, and sure it's nice too capture a particular audience, but please publishers, don't dismiss the rest of us.  We like to read good books too - and this is a good book. For any age.  Thanks Christie for writing this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment